History of the Congregation -
1770 - First church building opened on 18th February - see map below.
1836 - Our minister, Norman MacLeod, the Moderator of the General Assembly, raised over two hundred thousand pounds for famine relief in the Highlands and Islands.
1837 - Ingram Street Church sold to the British Linen Bank. Proceeds built the new church.
1839 - Second church building, in Hope Street, opened on 14th July. See map below.
1843 - Free Church formed but St. Columba stayed in the Church of Scotland. It was described as a "stronghold of moderatism". Our minister, Dr. MacLeod, prevailed upon Parliament to insert in the Bill for the Division of Parishes a special clause giving churches created for the benefit of highlanders in cities, a legal jurisdiction over every district which required the services of a Gaelic minister.
1851 - Special constitution granted by the General Assembly.
1899 - Notice from railway company. Compensation used to build new church.
1900 - Last services held in Hope Street church 21st May. Congregation moved to Waterloo Rooms.
1904 - Third church building, in St Vincent Street, opened 17th September.
1948 - Our minister, Alexander MacDonald, becomes Moderator of the General Assembly.
1970 - 200th Anniversary
1981 - Terminable Appointment
1986 - Presbytery Buildings and Mission Category 1 (special case) granted - "Presbytery regard retention of these buildings as a priority for mission".
1987 - Restored to full status.
1998 Glasgow City Council commitment to our "Building of Regional importance".
2004 - Centenary of St Vincent Street building.
2007 - Presbytery Plan proposes union with Gardner Street church in Partick.
2009 - Presbytery Buildings Plan Category 4 "Buildings about which Presbytery is unable to reach a decision". Awaiting the union with Gardner Street.
2011 - Gardner Street church dissolves, meaning that St Columba (with a Gaelic service every Sunday morning) is the only Gaelic-language provision in any church of any denomination in Glasgow, and well beyond.
2016 - The congregation constructs a Mission Plan following its successful appeal against closure of the building.
2017 - The General Trustees instruct a major buildings survey to determine whether full restoration is viable.
Hope Street before Central Station was extended. The church can clearly be seen.